Here we are at the end of my 10 week journey in class, and just the beginning of a lifetime of working towards integral health. Looking at the
definitions of health and wellness will help us understand why reaching
integral health is so important. Health is the absence of disease, while
wellness is enjoying good physical and mental health. Without a balance of mental
health and stress management, chronic conditions of stress or unresolved psychological
or spiritual issues can result in chronic disease. So integral health is the
goal, and to achieve this we each must foster the three domains; psychological,
spiritual, and physical development. Before a practitioner can do this for
others, they must experience this journey themselves. This doesn’t mean the
professional must be at a point of integral health when working with their
clients, but engaging in daily practices themselves in all areas are crucial to
helping others determine their own path. By embodying the image of peace and
balance in these areas, it can give others a goal they see as attainable. With
this personal experience of the practitioner, they can help the client
determine which exercises and methods may fit into their individual lifestyle
and personality.
My journey had
started out a little difficult this year with surgery and some other medical
issues. To assess my health in each of the domains of spirituality, physical,
and psychological, I compared to my times when I was in more optimal health to
how I have grown and handled the issues I have been faced with. Starting with
spirituality I would say I am about the same as my earlier assessment at an 8.
Although it is the same, I have grown in some ways through my meditation
practice. I continue to have a strong faith and religious practice, and would
like to work on the meditation and reaching more of an inner peace to grow in
dealing with life’s issues in a calm, thoughtful way. Physically I would say I am still about a
6-6.5 due to physical constraints, and psychologically still fluctuating around
an 8 or a little below.
My goals are to
continue to grow in each domain, where I can see improvements by the end of the
year. Starting with my physical health I have found some exercises I can do
with my limitations, but need to begin doing these on a regular basis (5-6 days
per week). My psychological health has fluctuated mostly due to not making time
for myself. My goal is to return back to setting aside time each day for
relationships and “me time”. Spiritual goal is to have my meditation practice
become a daily exercise.
There is one
thing that comes to mind with developing strategies for my personal health;
consistency. This is what keeps me from progressing to the next level in some
areas. Time management and planning will be a big part of keeping these
practices. Let’s start with my physical practice and two main strategies. These
include at least 30 – 60 minutes of exercise each day, along with transitioning
to a plant based diet. To implement the exercise will be by setting a specific
time each morning to do this, and planning it into my morning each day. As for
the diet, this will be done by planning out and preparing recipes and dishes in
advance, as well as freezing some for those busy days.
My spiritual
practice will be twofold. One is to get back to a regular weekly practice of
going to church, and to determine meditation times (preferably two) each day
that will be set aside for this. These will be done at a time when I can relax
and tune out the mind chatter and long list of things to do.
My psychological
practice will be a little more difficult to implement as I generally leave out
the “me time” that is so needed by each of us. Again I will revert back to time
management and a schedule, even though I tend to resist them. I will plan for
my daily times to spend with my husband, along with at least one time during
the week for a fun activity away from the home. Secondly I will plan out a
lunch or get together each week with a friend. These are the areas that
recently have been neglected and I see the need for planning them out in
advance.
Assessment is an
important key to measuring progress and staying on track. If we don’t assess
our progress at certain intervals, how do we not only stay on track, but modify
our exercises to continually develop in each area or domain. So I will set up
measurements for myself in each area. Starting with the physical domain, I’ll
monitor my progress with my exercise, along with modifying the plan each month
to continue gaining benefits. These can be done by keeping a log of my daily
diet and physical activities. The spiritual domain can be measured first by
ensuring 1-2 daily meditations, then measuring the quality of reaching that
inner space of calm and how I feel after the exercises. Psychologically is to
continue my meditation practice which goes hand in hand with psychological
health. In addition to this, I need to look at the quality of time spent on
relationships and quality time doing things for enjoyment.
We can help
others aspire toward integral health to eventually change the culture we live
in to a more peaceful, generous, and loving one. For us to affect this change
it must start with us, as practitioners, and the example we can set for others.
Lynne,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that, in the face of adversity, you have found the strength and wisdom to effectively and efficiently lay out realistic goals. It is usually so difficult to do because of tendencies to over-estimate our human capabilities. I totally agree you with you about the importance of having "me" time. We give our time to everybody and evry thing else and forget the most important person: us. Like the saying goes "charity begins at home". We need to be able to help ourselves before we do so for others.
Your plan seems like a solid one that will surely help you achieve your goals if you stick to it. Good luck on your journey to health and wellness.
It was really a pleasure getting to "know" you in this class. I hope to "see" you on upcoming classes.
Great post!
Browny.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThanks for your response Browny, and well wishes. I agree that as women we do tend to help everyone else first, leaving ourselves for last. In a recent talk I did to new mom's, I reminded them of the first thing the flight attendant tells us before flying, "put your own oxygen mask on first before you help anyone else" and this is something we all need to remember, myself included, so we have the strength to handle what comes our way.
DeleteIt was a pleasure getting to know you too and I wish you all the best with your future classes and your continued journey.
Lynne
Hello Lynne,
ReplyDeletethis has been quite the journey these past twp months and I feel like we have all had to take the to to really concentrate on this process. It seems to me from what you have said over the term that you are doing a great job with the process. I love to hear that you are so positive about the whole process. i am really aware of some interesting things because of this class that i wouldn't have given two thoughts about before i hope you have learned as much as i have and good luck on the continuation of your health and wellness process.
Jess
Hi Jess,
DeleteYes it has been a good term and we learned some good practices that I hope to continue with. I'm glad this helped open up your awareness, with new ideas and practices on your path to wellness. I wish you all the best with your classes and your continued journey to wellness and following your dreams.
Lynne