Where am I on the wheel of wellness? I've noticed over the years that where we are on this wheel fluctuates throughout our life. As life events happen and circumstances change, so does our level of integral health in different areas.
I have always found it difficult to put a number rating on
my feelings whether it is a pain level, emotions, or
life experiences, but for
the purpose of this journal I will do my best. Starting with my physical
well-being, it has been a little challenged lately after limiting my exercise
for a year with a torn meniscus, then recovering from surgery. I would give it
between a 6 – 6.5 as I am cycling 40-50 miles a week, but have been unable to
do my other activities like walking and some weight exercises. My goal; to get
back to at least an 8-9 by finding other activities I can do on a daily basis
to improve my flexibility and strength.
My spiritual well-being is a little better at about an 8
right now. This is due to my ongoing spiritual beliefs and practices, along
with a new found love of meditation that is teaching me the joy of silence and
looking inward. My goal is to keep improving on this level with new and ongoing
activities.
Assessing psychological well-being is a little difficult for
me. I would say it’s probably about an 8 with some fluctuations. There have
been some life changes with my personal & career goals that have changed some dynamics of family and friends. I've found that when making shifts in your own life to pursue your goals and dreams, it may no longer be supported by some of the people in your “close”
circle. Looking at it as a new adventure surrounding myself with like minded,
supportive people is a goal that has been ongoing and moving in a positive direction.
To move towards the goals in all three of these areas, I plan to add yoga or Pilates
routine to my exercise a few days a week. I also plan to continue with my
meditation, discovering new methods and visualizations to use to continue
working towards that inner peace. While I’m doing this I have been
rediscovering old friends and new acquaintances to fill my new social circle of
support.
In health & happiness,
Lynne
Lynne

Hi Lynne,
ReplyDeleteMight I suggest you add "traditional" yoga too your repertoire. You will get the physical benefits coupled with the spiritual. Try looking for Ashtanga Yoga. It will be difficult at first, but as Miyamoto Musashi said - all things are difficult at first!
Girl, what does it all boil down to? Why do we have to label ourselves and try and compete? What do these challenges at work and in our lives really prove? Nothing.
I learned this in the Military. I used to be SO DAMN GOOD at my job, I would think that the whole base would fall apart if I didn't show up for work. Like, there was no way the Marines could function without me. In truth, I was valuable, but the wheel keep rolling. And when it is all said and done, no one really cares. All the commendations, medals and awards I received don't mean a thing! Think about it...you don't know about them! So, how does it fare? What really gets accomplished by worrying about all this stuff?
Just live and be happy. Plant a tree, breathe the fresh air, take e a vacation, sleep an extra hour, and howl at the moon if you want!
Live...
Liam
Hi Lynne, What a fabulous blog you have started, I love the colors of your pie! Yes, I agree with you in the psychological area. When you are setting your own goals, and pursuing your dreams, there may be some family members/friends who may "poo, poo" what you are doing. I heard once that one should never take advice from another whose aspirations are less than own. I believe this to be a very true statement. And have remembered it frequently as I pursue my bachelors in Nursing. I will not listen to my coworkers who are poo-pooing on my goals. Good luck with yours
ReplyDelete