Friday, July 26, 2013

Loving Kindness



This week was practicing the “Loving Kindness” guided meditation which took us from feeling the presence
of a loved one, feeling their love radiating to us, then giving that love back. I found this very soothing from the first time I did this. The experience was wonderful, peaceful, and left me feeling full of love especially while going through some health issues this week. It was perfect timing for me to start this meditation.

The second part where we were told to breath in the pain and suffering of a loved one was difficult for me at first. I have a very close family member suffering from a terminal illness so it felt overwhelming at first, but with the guidance of meditation, I was able to breath out feelings of love and peace to that person which removed that feeling of overwhelm. I truly enjoyed the experience and felt the music and sounds of the water lapping on the shore made it even more soothing. I did find the length of time was a little long for me as my mind starting drifting, thinking of things I need to get done before I go way this weekend. With practice and doing it at a time when I can totally devote to this, I feel I'll improve. I’m looking forward to doing it again.

Engaging in a “mental workout” can be similar to doing a physical workout, in the sense you need to be consistent to gain results. Engaging in meditations, visualizations, or other methods that help us go within our mind, need to be done on a daily basis to eventually achieve psychospiritual flourishing. It has been found that simply sitting quietly for a short period of time cannot help us achieve this. It needs to be a contemplative practice that takes us into our expanded consciousness to reach a point of healing.

I have been working on this with daily meditation both in the morning when I wake and at night before going to sleep. I also find that prayer is helpful and I have been working on having "quiet" time, usually within the first hour of waking, to sit outside in peacefulness taking in the sounds of nature. I look forward to discovering new tools to help deepen our skills of going to that inner space.

3 comments:

  1. I find it wonderful that you found this exercise to be soothing and peaceful. I was hoping I would feel that way too, but I just couldn't keep my mind focused on what I was supposed to be thinking about and doing. I definitely need more training of my mind! I like that you are working meditation into your daily life. I plan to begin making it a daily routine as well. I also enjoy my quiet time in the morning as I sit outside listening to the sounds of nature around me. It is my most favorite time of the day! Thanks for sharing your experience. I look forward to reading more from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had such an easy time figuring out whose pain to take. It does seem like struggles come in packs, doesn't it? I'm glad this gave you a way to deal with the overwhelm.

    I hope this continues to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lynn
    I think that it is awesome that you can get into these exercises, i am having trouble actually doing the exercises on the Mp3s however i do understand the concepts that are trying to be shared. I am not big on the meditation part of these exercises, which i think where my problem lies. Your experience with the exercises seems to be much more intense than that of my own keep up the good work and i look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete